Search This Blog

Monday

Taking a Chance-Risking it All!

Just the other day someone was describing to me their idea of fun and adventure.  Yeah--sky diving.

They told me, "You just have to try it." But here's the problem I see with sky diving. You may only get one chance to "try" it, and for me folks, that isn't odds I'd bet on. If I were on a sky diving plane and it came time for me to jump, I think I'd kill the pilot before I'd agree to take the tumble. Because I know that if the jump didn't kill me, and believe me, it would, I am certain that the anticipation alone would cause cardiac arrest.

The other thing that would stop me from jumping, that is if the mere thought of crashing to the ground from 10,000 feet was not enough, is my face. Yeah, I have seen pictures and, believe me, on the descent down, your face begins to look a lot like a Neapolitan Mastiff pup. That pup face lasts just until your chute doesn't open, and then your face takes on a "Crap on a stick" appearance. 

With that being said, it is not to say that I won't take some risk. I am more than happy to put a hundie in a slot machine and sit back and pull the lever. But I like having both my feet on the ground when I do it. Sometimes when I find myself wanting to "push" the envelope, I'll even drink while I gamble. And then the most damage I can do is to the balance on my ATM slips. Believe me, I won't get too many pulls in with those dismal figures.

But don't get the wrong idea here.  I understand the thrill of the chase, the adrenaline rush, the uncertainty of the outcome.  It is exactly how a new, untried bottle of wine feels to me.

So, when I am hell bent for some high adventure, I drive my car really fast to our local distiller.  Sometimes, I don't even put my seat belt on until I hit the highway, just to add to the excitement. (Don't try this at home.) Then I grab a cart, hoping I will get the one with a loose wheel, as that adds a certain element of danger. The ride home feels like what I can only imagine the climb on Universal's Dueling Dragons must feel like. Oh, the anticipation! My sweaty hands are clenched around the wheel, hanging on for dear life. And the skin on my face is pulled tight by the shit eating grin that is now permanently etched on my face. Grrrr... I can hardly wait!

As you can see, I know all about risk. It is just that my idea of putting it all on the line is buying a bottle of wine I have never tried before.

But with every risk is a potential down side. You could possibly be in for the best ride of your lifetime, or perhaps not. You just never know. And sometimes, the worst will happen.  The ride won’t be at all what you’d hoped for. I'd imagine it to be a lot like the feeling you get when your parachute fails to open. But here's the deal with that.  You get another chance. You just gotta get back out there and hope you have one more E-ticket left.  You wait for your next ride (bottle) to come along and hope the wait won't be too long!

So, for your next ride, let me help you out a bit.  Imagine me telling you just before you go up in the plane, "Don't worry, I'll catch you."  If that sounds a bit too risky for your taste, let me offer up to you a great wine to try instead!


TRES PICOS- 2007
Borsao Garnacha-Spain
Three Mountains

This is an interesting wine at first swallow, but like many wines in this price point, it leaves you hoping for a little more. However, at around 13 bucks a bottle, not a bad value. Very spicy and a bit "tight", with juicy red and dark berry flavors. Serve it at about 59-60 degrees, for best taste.
I personally feel the finish is a bit short - meaning, I like a wine that opens up more at the end. However, with a price tag at a reasonable $13, it offers as good a value as one can find these days.  Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. First off, I love the dog! Next-I have sky dived- did my face look like that? LMBFAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it Mary, especially the part on how you drink while gambling! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago in a moment of insanity, I jumped out of a plane. It was an experience that I lived to tell about. I can say it was one of the most frightening and exhilarating experiences I ever had. I do agree a great bottle of wine is much safer....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wine is safer. I'll do wine.

    ReplyDelete