Search This Blog

Wednesday

You kahnt git theyah from heayah! (And that folks, is Lobstah talk)

Remember the movie Sideways? Well, this is not the wine from that movie. This is the wine from that "other"  movie, Bottle Shock. The one with a ridiculously good looking cast, as opposed to Paul Giamatti, whom we can all attest to being a bit less than good looking. Anyhow, back to the wine and the movie. Never mind that the movie focused on a Chardonnay, rather than a Cabernet, that in my opinion is simply a technicality. What's really important is that we found this phenomenal wine in a cute little "wanna be" wine store in Southwest Harbour Maine. I was just in the middle of throwing one of my now infamous wine rants to anyone that was willing to listen, when suddenly, right before my eyes were the words, "Wine sold here".

Figuring it was a sign from above, I yelled, "stop the cah".  And inside was the most unusual and glorious assortment of wines we'd ever gotten our grubby little paws on. I turned to my hubby and declared in my best Mainah dialect, "Ayah, Fathah, we've arrived".  And there it was, down almost at floor level,  several bottles of Chateau Montelena, 2005, Cabernet. Of course, having seen the movie Bottle Shock, both hubby and I almost became giddy. And believe me folks, giddy, is not something the good folks in Maine understand. No sir, In the state of Maine, acting giddy can get you put in the "big house", these are a conservative group here. Giddy soon became a serious understatement to our condition when we spyed a bottle of Spottswood Cab, 1998. Because the price of the Spottswood (be still my heart) was double the price of the Chateau, it was time for some tough decision making. I consulted with self and asked, "What would you prefer, two bottles of what is sure to be a fabulous wine, or one bottle of what is sure to make you take off all your clothes? Now, self, having been present for my most recent, soon to be epic lobstah eating marathon, felt it was only prudent to keep the clothes on and go for the two in lieu of one scenario, and so I did.  And here ladies and gents, is the rest of the story...

CHATEAU MONTELENA, 2005
Cabernet Sauvignon. Napa Valley
 $$$- $65

Don't go into sticker shock with the price on this wine, it is worth every penny.  And besides, I never promised you a rose garden.  Life is just too short for bad wine, so save this bottle for a special occasion or drink like I would on any Monday night.  It is time to take the plastic wrap off your sofas people and use your crap.  Now, with that said (so eloquently too) this is a wonderful, full bodied, dark and powerful wine that grabs you the minute it hits your palate. Hello people, are you paying attention?  This is luscious and rich with a great sexy depth. Think Joanie from Madmen in her red dress and now you are just beginning to get this fabulous wine. And the fun is just starting.  This wine is well balanced, with just the right amount of fruit forward, followed with a long slow french-kiss finish.  Make your next bottle (if you can find it- as I have never seen it in the South) a special occasion and skip the dinner, and slip right between the sheets.  You will not be disappointed- er...in the wine that is!

2 comments:

  1. i loved bottleshock. Never tried the wine, now I will hunt it down (once I can afford it, that is)! You remind me of that author Lori Notaro- keep it up. JulieS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to find this wine! I will save it for a special occasion too. Jen

    ReplyDelete