Search This Blog

Friday

So, this morning I started my day out at Starbucks, or as I like to refer to it...four bucks. Since we've slipped into this little thing called a "recession," I have been limiting my visits, just a bit. Not really because I want to but it is just a little embarrassing to stand at the counter and count out four bucks in loose change- especially since they know my name down there. But this morning I splurged and ordered up a venti non-fat, three splenda cappoo and grabbed the Times and a large overstuffed, well soiled green velvet chair and settled my ample self down. I have to tell you, before long I was only using the Times as a prop. I pretended to read the paper, but actually I was checking everyone out. Yes. I was a big fat lurk- it was so much fun! I think I like lurking more than anything- other than drinking, of course! I'd have to admit, drinking gets top billing, but lurking is right below a nice glass of red. As a matter of fact, I'd like to get a job as a lurk. No silly, a real job, one where I can cash the checks. Yeah. Lurking is something I could get real good at. It is interesting, most people that you end up lurking are far worse off than you are. Oh, heck, it doesn't matter that they are dressed and have a job and you are sitting there in day old sweats that you slept in (I call that Sleep to Street wear). You will sit there, all smug and content and find the snags on their sweaters and sometimes, just sometimes, you can still see the sheet marks on their faces. Hey, don't look at me, I did not make up this whole lurking past time. All I did was jump on board. So, back to the early morning humanity at Starbucks, yeah, most of them will come in all "full" of themselves, with their Blackberry's looking all self important, as if just because they have jobs they deserve their Starbucks. They come in asking for their soy lattes and such, weilding gold AMX cards. I want to stand up and shout, "Hey, I once had a gold card, I just like my Public Library card better." But, here's the deal, if you stick around long enough (which I have done) you will start to see the cracks. The cracks show up in the "hang" time. This is the time between when they come in all fabulous twirling thier Hummer keys in the air and then when they find themselves standing there, waiting for their fancy, smanzy drink to get done. They will grab the latest coffee thermos mug and read the fine print and then put it down like they read something really objectionable, (could it have been the price tag,) I dunno. They will pick up the latest CD that is on sale and read on how they can save Africa. but in the end, all they really want is for the following words to ring out... " Half Caf, Quad, iced Grande soy, Starbucks double shot on ice, for Seth." Ahhhh caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment