Search This Blog

Saturday

Breaking Up Is hard To Do!

It is official, we are splitsville. I don't think it is permanent, perhaps just a temporary trial separation. It is for the best, really. It is funny, because when we first started up years ago, everyone said, "Oh, it will never last." I think even my closest friends thought I'd go back to my first love Jack, at least in the early days. But together we proved them all wrong. And now after years of thinking like a couple, it is over.  I mean think about it... we have raised a family together. Yep, our motto was through thick and thin, and believe me, there has been more thick than thin, but we have always remained resolute in our commitment towards each other. Wow, it is even hard to write about this, I am getting all misty eyed just thinking of the rest of my days without you. I’ve always had this fairy tale image in my head of us, that we'd grow old together, you know sitting on the beach, watching the sunset?  Now I see that may not be possible and I am scared.


Today, I sit here already missing you and thinking was there anything I could have done differently? Where did it all go wrong? If I had to guess, I'd say things started slipping not long after the economy took a dive. I was home all the time and then came the zippies. Oh, how I loved my zippies! Had I known then what I know now, maybe I would have changed, but I thought that you of all people would understand. I can still remember how warm and happy I felt whenever you were around. I'd be gleeful with anticipation of your arrival in the evenings.

And when we entertained, you never failed to step up to the plate. You’d show up full of character, so robust, and yes, at times even complex. I never even saw the end coming. But that’s how it usually goes down- you are the last to know. I think some of our closest friends saw the changes coming, but they never let on. It was as if they too were going to hang in there with us to the bitter end.

The leaving is never easy. We grasp to hang on to the old familiar, to those that offered comfort and love, so in that, I want to give you one final send off, a Bon Voyage or Adieus’ fitting for the love we once shared.
Good-Bye expensive red wine, may we meet again someday!



Altamura Cabernet Sauvignon-2005 (sold out)
Wooden Valley- Napa $90  And while the 2005 outstanding vintage is only found by searching your local wine shops that may still have a few bottles put away, the 2006 vintage has just been released and it too has been rated by both Robert Parker and Wine Spectator with a strong 94 points.  This is a big, dense and full-bodied wine with superb richness and power.  One of the most intense wines I have ever tried.  You will want to slow dance this bottle with someone special.
We stumbled upon this wine quite by accident one evening at a little liquor store that was more of a dive than wine shop.  They likely sold a lot more Jack then wine, and frankly, I was worried we'd get out alive. But we got out alive alright, in fact better than alive, as attested to later that evening, when we opened up what we soon considered the BEST bottle of wine we'd ever had the honor to drink.  Back when times were good, we uncorked our fair share of this wonderful jewel of a wine.  But now the clock is ticking, our final bottle patiently waiting its turn.  This wine we fondly refer to as, "Mother's Milk" will be enjoyed for a final time on Mother's Day.  Appropriate, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. omg! I want some. I'm a mother too! Your postings crack me up. Love your "stories". Please don't stop!!!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary ,have way through this little peice I started praying for your marriage,Crasy woman.Lets make time for a bottle or a bottle for you an a martini for me.Dirty please Gray Goose or X Rated only :0 Rosemary Hale

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry no glasses Mary Half way through this little piece I started praying for your marriage,Crazy woman.Rosemary (no danm spell chk on this.There is spell chk on my iphone)
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete